Tuesday 10 May 2016

How I Learned to Read and Write

How I Learned to Read and Write
Reading is a lengthy journey that begins as early as the first day in a learning facility. Writing, on the other hand, demands dedication and focus. Learning to write is a gradual process but pays off in the long-run (Waxler and Hall 96). Reading and writing has fascinated me since I was a toddler. I can attribute this to parental advice and the contributions of my peers. Besides, I hail from a family with fascinating writing history. As such, I am confident that reading and writing genes are ingrained in my DNA.   
When I was 5 years old, my interest in reading and writing took hold. My mother can recall instances when I struggled to decipher information in a candy packet or a cake wrap. It was then that she became aware of my potential. She immediately enrolled me in a nearby institution. I can hardly forget the joy I had when I read my first word. It happened almost at the same time when I wrote my name for the first time. Overcoming such a hurdle earned me praise from my teacher and parents. It dawned on me that success in my education and future career hinged on my literacy. Notably, I was among the first few learners in my class to dismantle the illiteracy barrier. Most of my peers regarded me as a fast learner.
What I have read
I have read different genres of books and writings over the past few years. Some include my course materials, different articles on varied topics and Magazines. I am passionate about reading novels and storybooks. Specifically, I enjoy reading fictional stories because of the creativity involved. I mostly appreciate the imaginative skills exhibited by different writers. This way, I can rate distinct writers as per their talent, the level of understanding and eloquence. In fact, over the years, I have created a list of my favorite writers of all times. I update it regularly according to my progress as an avid reader. Every week, I read an upwards of two classical novels. The richness of language and the depth of imagination in such books keep my interest alive. Early writers were not motivated by the financial proceeds from their work, but a need to inscribe their names in the history books. 
The skill of writing stems from regular reading. When an individual is obsessed with reading, the art of writing comes naturally. This is a powerful lesson that I learned in the past and still apply today. Reading results in a generation of a bottomless well of ideas that prompts the reader to exhaust them in a form of writing. I have authored several articles and sketches in the past. I understand that the ideas in my mind can suddenly be lost forever if I am reluctant in jotting them down for future reference. Other times, I am dazzled at the level of knowledge depicted in the scripts I wrote more than 5 years ago. Individuals that read my work express their satisfaction and awe as well. However, I am convinced that writing is a concise reflection of the materials read. As a regular writer, I naturally fuse the ideas acquired from different genres of books, novels, articles, or news materials to create an appealing piece of literary work.
Enjoyment of Reading and Writing
I am thrilled by various kinds of reading and writing I have done in the past on several occasions. Some of my writings have been published in the opinion section of the local dailies. The readers have left positive responses on my pieces that inspire me to improve my writing skills. Besides, I at times read my own work for pleasure and rectification of flawed sections. Positive criticism from analysts earns me satisfaction.
My enjoyment of writing includes the time when Mrs. Jordan, my fourth-grade teacher, urged other students to emulate my writing style and skills. The moment served as a turning point on the way I regarded myself. Since then, I became more confident and self-motivated to try out new and creative ways of writing. In addition, I gained respect and honor from my colleagues. It seemed that my fate as a writer and a passionate reader was sealed since then. My life path towards literacy became clear. I understood that my success would inspire others and earn me invaluable rewards.
Defining Moments
I cannot forget the defining moments of my literacy journey. I successfully completed an 80-page book on space travel when I was 9 years. The book was an eye-opener regarding the infinite benefits of reading articles themed on interesting topics. Furthermore, I vividly remember a time when I read through the first chapter of Charlotte’s Web. I clearly visualized the characters in my mind as I read the novel, hence easing my understanding of its plot.
I have a strong memory of a four-line poem I wrote when I was in third grade. It was about my mother and the inexpressible love I had for her. While I could not successfully finish writing the poem due to limited ideas, it was an exhilarating first-time experience to compose a unique content. Other memories of my early writing include a “My First Day in School” article, “My Favorite Teacher” composition and “My Lovely Pet”. 
Sense of Literacy
As I was learning to read and write, I got a sense that I could communicate effectively. I was empowered to apply listening and speaking skills to discern, interpret, and conned the intricacies of my world. The entire process unlocked my potential with regards to expressing my opinions to a wider audience. In fact, I learned about the multiple channels that can be utilized in unearthing societal decay and to influence the existing culture (Akey 147). Learning to write and read forms the basis of the academic engagements and scholarly activity. Professional writers, for example, earn a living from authorship of books and novels, hence a demonstration of the value of literacy.
It is frustrating to learn that reading and writing is a gradual process. It can take years of hard work for an expert writer to perfect their skills. The most celebrated authors in history did not achieve their success overnight—they worked tirelessly for decades before their efforts finally paid off. The scarcity of learning materials during my early education years added to my frustration. Moreover, some of my friends brushed off my efforts as baseless and unproductive. On the other hand, I was pleased with the positive results at the end of each learning session. My performance improved tremendously as per the efforts I invested in learning to read and write. 
Most commonly, I engage in interactive reading and writing to tap into the wealth of knowledge of participants and teachers. It is impossible to maintain a learning pace is a flow of ideas and knowledge is cut short. As such, it is imperative for me to obtain information from the available sources to update my level of understanding on writing and reading. My emotions are intertwined with reading and writing. At times, I express my own feelings and desires by jotting down a piece of writing that describes my current emotions. There are moments when I immerse myself in books to dissolve an extreme feeling of annoyance or to divert my attention from disturbing moments of my life. Some people view this behavior as unhealthy, but for me, it is therapeutic.  Getting to where I am today as a writer results from the absorption of teacher’s advice and tracking the steps of my mentors. Moreover, I developed a mindset of reading not less than a chapter a day and to author a page per day.
Literacy Sponsors
My sponsors of literacy include the government, family, and teachers. Others are the learning institutions and the church (Brandt 16). Before I enrolled in school, I acquired some basic knowledge of reading, language and writing from my family. My home acted as a natural setting that provided functional and meaningful experiences. Such a rich literacy setting at home served me with a proper chance to learn and enjoy writing and reading.
 The schools that I attended early in my life featured teacher education programs that sponsored instructors to become literacy sponsors in the future. Educational textbooks also boosted my performance in writing and reading as well. Schools offer formal education that imparts writing skills from the first day. I learned how to write alphabetical letters at school. The government role as a literacy sponsor is evident in the recent enactment of the “No Child Left Behind” legislation. The policy targets to close the literacy development gap among the learners. Besides, I once enrolled in a learning whose services were government subsidized. An arm of government regulates the learning activities to ensure that all the learners are accorded quality education.
Experienced writers produce reading materials that offer life lessons to the readers. Textbooks, storybooks or articles are categorized in different subjects to for the reader to choose the most appropriate material. It is upon the learner to apply the teachings in a real life situation. Readers have an option of referring to written materials for answers to surfacing issues. On the other hand, a person that can neither read nor write is limited to oral education. Any reading session has a tendency of reminding the audience of their present or past experiences as a writer or a reader. During the process, I can pick the vital points and relate them to my writing or reading styles. Thus, I can gauge my level of experience with that of the document writer. This way, recommendations for future reading or writing can be outlined.
In summary, it is clear that literacy is an art acquired and incubated from an early stage of life. A reader or writer should practice regularly and study widely to acquire advanced skills applicable in the future.








Works Cited
Akey, Kristine. The Adolescent's Sense of Being Literate: Reshaping Through Classroom Transitions. ProQuest, 2007: 148-152. Print.
Brandt, Deborah. Literacy and Learning: Reflections on Writing, Reading, and Society. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2011: 1-253. Print.

Waxler, Robert P, and Maureen P. Hall. Transforming Literacy: Changing Lives through Reading and Writing. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group, 2011: 67-182. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment