Tuesday 2 February 2016

Language

Language
Readings assigned for the class this session are interesting. They enable students to gain a deeper understanding of language and its importance in our day-to-day activities. Prior to study, I had no idea how language and communication vary according to gender. Moreover, the readings cover major life aspects including culture and social relationships.
            I learned about important language lessons from the session. Firstly, I acquired knowledge about the symbolic nature of language. Secondly, I understood the contrasting issues that both male and female converse about. Lastly, the session explored distinctive verbal communication styles I would not have known otherwise.
            The lessons in this session’s readings are applicable even in the future. For instance, the knowledge about how language affects interaction will be useful during interviews and strengthening my relationship with workmates (Blommaert et al. 62).
            Some ideas in the readings enriched my understanding on language as a vital communication tool.  For example, an elaboration on the sharp differences between the way men and women communicate enables me to avoid frustration as I establish a communication with an opposite gender (Hall et al. 208).
            Ideas I can put into practice immediately from the session include how to make conversation fun by employing male conversation techniques and establishment of appropriate communication styles across variable cultures. I addition, adapting an individual’s speech style strengthens my relationship with peers and other people in my social cycle.
 I liked the use of simplified examples in the session as means of elaborating key topical points. This made the learning easy to understand and adapt.  Semantic rules and Equivocation, for instance, would not have been any easier were it not for bikes and books used as examples. I love riding a bike during my free time thus its application eased my knowledge acquisition burden.
 On the other hand, I disliked the portrayal of a feminine figure as a weak subject when compared to men. I believe that more should have been done to highlight the role of gender in language conversations without demeaning the feminine character. 
 The topics on language symbolism, understandings and misunderstandings are detailed and demands additional time to understand fully. I find the issue of static evaluation interesting but at the same time mind boggling.






Works Cited
Blommaert, Jan, and Ben Rampton. "Language and superdiversity." (2012). 54-68.Print.

Hall, Kira, and Mary Bucholtz, eds. Gender Articulated: Language and the Socially Constructed Self. Routledge, 2012  202-243. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment