Saturday 4 June 2016

The First Day in America

The First Day in America
I can hardly forget the day I set foot on American soil. It marked a beginning of my new life and a turning point. A few days prior to my journey, I anticipated how my first day will be in a foreign land. At times, I feared to meet new people and adapting to a new culture but I longed for a time when I could be part of the most prosperous country on earth.
It was a sunny December afternoon. The day marked my last moment in my native country. Though it was early in the month, my family members were already making preparations for Christmas. My heart pounded harder as I realized how I will miss my family and friends. Even worse, I was set to celebrate Christmas elsewhere other than home for the first time. My hands were shaking uncontrollably because I was so excited. I cried as the reality dawned on me. I can still recall vividly how I hugged two of my best friends for the last time.
How could things change within a short span of time? In a few hours time, I would leave all my friends, and peers to start a new in a country thousands of miles away. However, I consoled myself that it was for the better. A time comes in a person's life when relocating is more important than sticking to a traditional setting. Anyway, I am a social person and I was convinced that I would make new friends in America within a short time span.
The queue at immigrations grew longer by the minute. I waved goodbye to four of my family members, two of my friends and my pet that had accompanied me to the airport. Events happened quickly at the airport. It was my first time as a plane traveler. All I had with me was a small bag and a Visa. I carried two of my favorite Harry Potter novels and a family photo. I carried a few clothes too.
As I climbed up the retractable plane stairs, my mind was flooded with dozens of flashbacks on my childhood. “This is it.” I quietly mumbled to myself. “The moment is finally here.” My conscience was clear. I had to go even though I was scared and tired. While inside the plane, all I could think about was my mother, father, and my younger sister.
It did not take long for the plane to finally take off. The whole flight would take 11 hours before we land at New York airport at last. I spent the rest of the flight napping. I was woken up by Pilot's voice urging those on board to fasten seatbelts and brace for a landing. As I peeked out the airplane window, I saw giant buildings and skyscrapers. I could not mistake them for somewhere else other than Manhattan New York (Rutherfurd 17). A few weeks before my fateful day, I spent time staring at photos of this great city. The sheer scale and expansion from its aerial view sent chills of excitement down my spine.
We landed at exactly 3: 12 pm New York Time. Even though it was a chilly afternoon, the sky was cloudless and the city looked bright. My heart warmed on learning that I just landed safely. Memories of my family and friends were replaced by thoughts of my future in this world epicenter. 40 more minutes and I would be reunited with my uncle again. James, his wife, and children were waiting for me outside. What I needed to do at the moment was to clear up with the formalities of the customs department. The entire process was swift because the officials were friendly and cooperative.
“May I see your passport please?” one agent said. My attention was now focused outside, “What?” I replied. “Hand over your passport...business or pleasure?” he retorted. It was over after a few questions. “Sir, welcome to America” he later said as he handed over a stamped passport.
I stepped outside the door and the city seemed chaotic. People minded their business. I could not see members of my extended family yet. I headed down a few blocks to a nearby cafeteria. I needed a warm cup of coffee. About an hour later, my uncle showed up alone. He was fat and shorter than I could recall. The last time I saw him was when I was 9 years old. 
After a few minutes of catching up, we were ready to head downtown. It was getting dark now and I needed to rest after a long journey. My uncle understood this. We headed straight to his home where I met his wife and children for the first time. They welcomed me warmly as a new member of the family. In fact, they had prepared a small welcome party for me. I knew then that we would get along well.
I retired to bed. My first day in America ended.







Work Cited

Rutherfurd, Edward. New York: The Novel. Toronto: Seal Books, 2011: 1-264. Print.

1 comment:

  1. If you'd like an alternative to casually approaching girls and trying to figure out the right thing to do...

    If you would prefer to have women hit on YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy pubs and night clubs...

    Then I urge you to view this eye-opening video to uncover a strong secret that has the potential to get you your personal harem of hot women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM...

    ReplyDelete