Saturday 4 June 2016

Learning Activity

Learning Activity
Smoking is still a significant cause of poor outcome of pregnancies in the US. Up to 20% of infant deliveries with low birth weight are linkable to smoking. Even worse, smoking accounts for nearly 5% of all paternal deaths (Lee et al., 2011). As a member of the inter-professional team tasked with the development of state-wide smoking cessation program, I am convinced that I possess the adequate and necessary skill that will be beneficial to the team and to pregnant mothers.
My past experience as a team member indicates that I fit in a leadership position. I have amerced a wealth of leadership skills both as a group leader in an academic setting and in my professional background. I easily understand the group needs and cooperate with the members fully to achieve the desired outcome (Weiss et al., 2014). Besides, I offer guidance and advice to new group members on matters related to understanding the group's structure, discipline, and requirements. I can generate new ideas that assist in strategizing the potential impact of our intervention and the follow-up activities (Reeves, 2010). I prefer details to ensure that each of the program participants and subjects understand the need for cessation of smoking to ensure safe delivery of healthy infants.
Furthermore, I mostly lean towards assuming a more active role in the team, given the satisfaction and motivation that results from successful accomplishment of the mission. Besides, I understand that conflicts of interests tend to within the team (Pintz & Johnson, 2015). Therefore, I am well equipped to arrest arising cases of dissatisfaction and diverted mindsets of the team members by acting as a negotiator to ensure a win-win solution. I invite others to contribute their ideas and to participate in decision-making (Persily, 2014). In fact, I am aware that listening and showing empathy is crucial in strengthening the relationship between team members.
References
Lee, R. V., Keely, E. J., Rosene-Montella, K., & American College of Physicians. (2007).Medical Care of the Pregnant Patient. Philadelphia, Pa: American College of Physicians
Persily, C. A. (2014). Team leadership and Partnering in Nursing and Health Care. New York, NY: Springer Pub. Co.
Pintz, C. & Johnson, J. (2015). Interprofessional Healthcare Teams. In L. Hamlin, L. (Ed.), Advanced Practice Nursing: Contexts Of Care. Burlington, Massachusetts: Jones & Bartlett Learning. 9781284047028.
Reeves, S. (2010). Interprofessional Teamwork for Health and Social Care. Chichester, West Sussex; Ames, Iowa: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. ISBN: 9781405181914
Weiss, D., Tilin, F. J., & Morgan, M. J. (2014). The Interprofessional Health Care Team: Leadership and Development. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning, ISBN: 9781449673369.


No comments:

Post a Comment